
I had my 36 week appointment this morning and they did a routine ultrasound. Ella is looking great - but very big! Her head circumference was measuring 39 weeks (YIKES!!) and her estimated weight as of now, just shy of 36 weeks, was 7 lbs 9 oz. I'm trying not to freak out too much about her projected delivery weight since they estimated that Ben was over 8 lbs at this point and 2 weeks later I delivered him at 7 lb 12 oz. However, we did briefly discuss being induced, and I was really hoping to be able to go naturally this time around (and when I say naturally, I mean without Pitocin. Bring on the epidural if this girl is really as big as they are thinking!!!!!). I go back to the doctor again around 37 weeks and we will see how Ella is looking and then further discuss delivery plans. Dr M did say that she definitely would not let me go beyond my due date, so at least I know I won't be overdue with a 10 lb baby in the middle of a Florida summer! I am praying that Ella will just decide to make her entrance into this world a little early so I don't have to worry about making the decision to induce or not. However, we are leaving for Perdido Key tomorrow morning for a few days, so I would like her to wait until we are back in Gainesville!! And I did get a final confirmation that she is indeed a girl, so I can go ahead and start washing all of her baby clothes and bedding!
I have to admit, while I am excited about the upcoming arrival of Miss Ella, I have also been starting to feel sad that my time with just Ben is about to come to an end. I'm a sentimental person who is resistant to change, and the thought of this period in my life coming to an end is hard to accept. I can't explain how wonderful these last 2 years with Ben have been. There is something so special about the time you have with your first born. We figured out this whole parenting thing together and I have such wonderful memories of all of the things that just the two of us have done. Rocking him to sleep for his naps is my favorite time of day and it is hard knowing that this will not last forever! Nor will my 2-3 hours of free time while he sleeps! But, I know that the joys that Ella will bring us will quickly ease these nostalgic feelings.
Obviously the pregnancy hormones are now kicking into high gear! During my US this morning, Dr M pointed out Ella's already chubby cheeks. I could actually see the chub and it was heartwarming, but I didn't dwell on it. Then, as I'm walking out of her office, the thought came back to me and I just started crying as I thought of those cute, chubby little cheeks. It was mortifying, of course, but what could I do! And the ironic thing is that Carl was just commenting the other night how surprised he was that I am not one of those overly-emotional pregnant women. Guess he spoke too soon . . . . . . .



2 comments:
I can understand how you would grieve over losing your one-on-one time with Ben. We were recently asked to accept the temporary placement of a two-month old baby girl and I wasn't ready to give up my time with just D yet (he's only 15 months old). You are such a good mom to Ben and now there will be even more love in your home with the addition of Ella!
such a well written post. Ben will love reading how much you loved time with him later in life. Ella will be here soon and I can't wait to see pics
Post a Comment