Monday, June 8, 2009

Silver Springs

We took a trip to Silver Springs on Friday to celebrate Carl's last day of vacation. Unfortunately, it poured rain intermittently, so we weren't able to visit all of the different attractions. Ben still had a great time and it was less than an hour away so we will definitely be heading back!
Ben loved feeding the various animals in the petting zoo. He also enjoyed collecting "big rocks", but was confused about why the animals would not eat those out of his hand as well!




The giraffes were definitely a highlight of the trip. Ben would hold his cracker through the fence and call out "Giraffe. cracker here!"



A definite advantage of going to Silver Springs on a rainy day was the fact that we had the park to ourselves. The boat operator ran the boats just for Ben and he could have stayed on them until he was sea sick! We are excited to take him on Pontoon rides on Lake Bloomington in August!

We also took a glass bottom boat tour of several of the springs. The water in the springs is perfectly clear, so Ben had a great view of the marine life. He loved pointing out the turtles, "goldfish", "big goldfish", and especially the "HUGE goldfish". Right now, all fish are goldfish to Ben! He's also big into using adjectives these days!
We spent the rest of the weekend getting projects done around the house and Carl was a good sport about supporting my serious nesting phase. On Saturday, we bought more shelves and storage bins at Lowe's and completely cleaned out and reorganized the garage. Ben also helped Carl install Ella's car seat and now has fun talking about it each time we are in the car.
I now have all of Ella's clothes, blankets, and bedding washed and put away and on Sunday night I made her burp cloths. I found really cute fabric when we were home in March and I have been waiting for Carl's break to actually get them done! We have no room for my sewing machine and I can't stand to have it sitting out when I'm not using it, so I had to wait for a time when I could get them all knocked out at once! I am so excited to have a basement when we move back to IL!


We are getting our carpets cleaned tomorrow afternoon, and then we will be ready for Ella to come. I'm 38 weeks today, which is when I delivered Ben 2 years ago. I've never experienced the final 2 weeks of pregnancy before and think it would be just fine to skip them this time around as well!

7 comments:

Immeasurably More Mama said...

The burp cloths look great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new post. Looks like Ben and Carl made a trip to get haircuts over Carl's break too! Sounds like you had a productive weekend... great job on the burb cloths... definitely a blue ribbon!
with l,h, k, & p... Nana Bev

The Ludwig's said...

I can't believe you are sewing in the final 2 weeks of being pregnant! I would be lounging with my feet up!! I wish you the best of luck and hope Ella wants to join the world soon! :) Can't wait to see pictures!

emily zeller said...

Ok, so you wanna make me some??? Those are absolutely adorable!!

The Miller family said...

You could market those burp cloths--and make alot of money! I want to learn to sew someday...how fun! Ben is such a cutie...can't wait to see that post that Ella is finally here. Love seeing your pics...always playing, on the beach or some other fun activity. ARe you sure you want to come back to the mid-west???? :)

Kristen said...

The burp cloths are really so simple to make, that I'm not sure I should even classify them as sewing!!

Anonymous said...

I love the burp cloths!!! You can have a little business on your hands there! I just bought ones that were not that cute and they were not cheap!! Can't wait for Ella to arrive!

Kristin